In my journey as a pastor, I often find myself looking for the next way to grow our church network. One goal I pursued that I now see as not appropriate was the timing of our first official expansion phase for Family Gathering Church. I wanted to start a second home site within the first six months of our launch. This was not a sinful goal. It came from a good heart that wants to see people follow the Great Commission. However, it was not the right time for our small community.
I pursued this goal because I felt a heavy pressure to show progress. I thought that if we were not multiplying fast, then we were not being faithful to the vision. I also think my own desire to be a "Developer" pushed me to move faster than the Spirit was moving. I was focusing on the numbers and the structure rather than the depth of the roots we were planting. We needed more time to sit together and learn how to be a family before we tried to split into two.
The writings of Teresa of Ávila on "Striving to Make Progress" are a great asset for me here. She talks about the soul as a garden and reminds us that we are not the ones who make the rain fall. Her focus on internal stillness helps me see that my goals should come from a place of prayer rather than a place of performance. When I practice the quietness she describes, I can discern if a goal is my own ambition or a true leading from God. Her wisdom teaches me that true progress is often slow and hidden. By practicing this kind of spiritual focus, I can set goals that honor the current season instead of rushing into the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment