At what point of your life did you first feel the joy of serving God?
Growing up as a preachers child I have served the Lord in many ways. The first time that I served the Lord and it impacted me most was when I went on my first mission trip. It my senior year of high school and I was asked if I would like to go to Honduras for a two week mission trip that summer after graduation. I of course said yes, but it was initially for the wrong reasons. I was excited to help people but I was more excited about traveling to another country, riding in a plane for the first time, and in general the experience.
When I got there, the Lord changed my whole perspective and my whole life. He called me to missions. I felt immense joy being there in ministry on mission. About a year later I ended up going to Thailand on a 2 month mission trip, that turned into me serving in Thailand for 5 years. I remember the joy I felt in those first seasons, I was so on fire for the Lord and this mission. I still am but in a different context.
This past week, I chose to do an activity from the Devotional Classic's text where I wrote everything I do in two categories: "have to do" and "want to do." I quickly realized that I am doing a lot and I need to adjust my schedule. I also realized how many items in the "have to do" list could be delegated to others in my life. Additionally, this activity made me aware of how most of my ministry items were "want to's" and my additional tasks were "have too's." I was, honestly, pleasantly surprised by this. This activity allowed me to see that I do not have to be doing as much as I am and that I need to give up some of that control and allow others in my life to help. I would suggest that if you are struggling with feeling as though you are spread thin, do this activity and adjust your schedule.
Reference
Foster, Richard J., and Smith. James B. 2005. Devotional Classics. New York, NY: HarperCollins.
No comments:
Post a Comment