After reflecting on Foster's claim about Bonhoeffer and the radical restructuring of our lives, my initial thoughts as a Wesleyan still hold that mix of agreement and a sense of being overwhelmed. The call to social holiness in our tradition definitely aligns with Bonhoeffer's emphasis on costly discipleship impacting the world around us.
Now, thinking about the exercise I actually engaged in - viewing other Christians through Bonhoeffer's lens, focusing on experiencing Christ in them - that definitely shifts my perspective on Foster's statement. It's not just about these abstract socioeconomic structures "out there." It starts with how I see and interact with the people right in front of me, my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Bonhoeffer's insistence on finding Christ in the other breaks down these artificial barriers we can build. It challenges my own biases and assumptions. If I truly believe that Christ is present in every believer, regardless of their background or social standing, then that does have revolutionary implications for how I view the world and its structures. It compels me to see their needs, their struggles, and their inherent dignity in a new light.
This exercise, and Bonhoeffer's reading, reinforces Mulholland's idea of spiritual formation being about being formed in the image of Christ for the sake of others. Seeing Christ in my fellow Christians isn't just a nice theological idea; it's a practical step in breaking down the "us vs. them" mentality that often underpins unjust systems. It cultivates empathy and a sense of shared humanity rooted in our common identity in Christ. If I can truly see Christ in the person next to me, it becomes much harder to ignore their suffering or be complicit in systems that oppress them. It starts small, in how I relate to individuals, but it has the potential to ripple outwards and challenge those larger socioeconomic structures Foster was talking about. It's a more personal and relational starting point for that "total rethinking."
No comments:
Post a Comment